Carbon £0.50/10*10 cm
Carbon Kevlar £0.50/10*10 cm
Coarse Seaming Tape £0.50/m
Fibreglass £0.10/10*10 cm

See Robert Holdway at events or Stone
robertholdway[AT]hotmail[DOT]co[DOT]uk

fison

Post by fison » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:54 pm

Yes i would like some i will e mail you over the weekend thanks Fison :)
lets get it on

kayaker mad head

Post by kayaker mad head » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:26 pm

:p Caiman are also selling boat repaire stuff and have been for a while at a very good price for good sizes also. As well as peel ply and resin look on www.caiman.org.uk there stuff is all on there. Its worth it trust me!:p

Repairer needed

Post by Repairer needed » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:17 pm

Anyone have a name of a good boat repairer?? :D

raeofsunshine

Post by raeofsunshine » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:24 pm

hi, Nick Smith repaired my boat and shortened it for me. He did a wicked job- got his number off the notice board at Nottingham.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:02 pm

Dave Brown in Chester is excellent at doing repairs he manufacture's polo boats as well 01244 373838.
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

mwilk

Post by mwilk » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:20 pm

Anyone know where I can find information on how to do simple DIY repairs [needs patching underneath] ?

repairs

Post by repairs » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:48 pm

http://www.ukseakayakguidebook.co.uk/co ... repair.htm

might be sea kayaks but its all the same material it talks about.

mk1zetec

Post by mk1zetec » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:26 pm

You will need broadband for this!

Fast forward to 5 mins 20 secs, interesting bit on repairing composite car bumper using vac bag techniques.

http://www.voodoo-people.com/~daz/mull/ ... hugo12.wmv

Train2Win

Post by Train2Win » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:44 pm

Boat repairs are not difficult, if you take your time.

The simplest way to add a patch to the bottom of a boat is to:

a) Sand down an area around the breakage. Use coarse sandpaper and go down a few mil so that when you put a patch over the top it won't sit higher than the orignal hull.

b) Cut your material - measure the breakage and allow a couple of centimetres each side of the crack/hole. Then carefully cut the carbon fibre (carbon kevlar will need very sharp scissors!).

c)Mix your resin - West System is very good quality epoxy resin and mixes at a ratio of 5:1 (resin:hardener). Ensure that you have planned ahead and have set aside a container to mix the resin e.g. a yogurt carton; as well as a device to measure the resin and hardener e.g. a large bottle top or if your really organised small syringes (ensure you use separate ones for resin and hardener!).

d) Apply mixed resin to the area that you will be patching. You can use anything to apply the resin but for excellant results you can use a small brush.

e) Put the patch onto the resined area and apply a coat of resin on top of it. If it is a deep break you might need 2 or 3 layers of carbon. When applying the resin don't be stingy, apply enough to leave a thin layer on top.

f) Cut a large piece of cling-film (or peel-ply) and place it over the repair tape down the sides of the cling-film to pull it tight over the repair to prevent creases forming once it has dried (you can also take a needle at this point and pop any bubble that might have formed in the resin under the clingfilm).

g) Leave for 12-24 hours (less if it is warm and sunny).

h) Take off the cling-film once the repair has gone off and is no longer tacky.

If any creases have appeared in layer of resin on top, or if you've used peelply, you might want to sand the repair down using wet and dry sandpaper to leave a smooth finish.

The best way to get good at repairs is to take your time and practise, practise, practise!!