Lee Valley - Div 2/3 Race This Saturday

Discuss past and future events
slink

Post by slink » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:55 pm

Mr Munchkin, thanks for the PM...OK, so 3 missing entries currently known of, which to be honest out of the hundred plus on the start list is probably about right for the post!

Thank you for sticking with this...I am sure we have been party to only some of the problems involved with LOCOG and LV management, it would have been easy for all of you organising to roll over and scream "Enough" - but you haven't, so thank you and here's hoping for a hot, sunny, red tape and incident free event on Saturday.

Steve

Mr Munchkin

Post by Mr Munchkin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:01 pm

Sun :cool: dance will be welcome on Saturday but only near the water if you are wearing a buoyancy aid.

John M

Post by John M » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:09 pm

Were Guilty!!!!! - Sending entries to Anne as first advertised here originally as being Anne.

Hope you get the entries passed over as were not on the start list.

Just also

Andy - your doing a great job! and we do all appreciate you effort and stress that you and Mrs Munchkin are suffering to bring us what I think is going to be a great, but very busy event.

See you Saturday

Many Thanks

John and Sam Miller

Proteus CC Crew - watch out for those new hoodies!

Mr Munchkin

Post by Mr Munchkin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:04 pm

Hi John
No problems. Yes...all list updates I am aware of sorted and entry cards should be with me on Saturday.

Update from Lee Valley:
* The 22 gate course has been erected.Thank you to our men on the inside! (NB: no access tomorrow as the site is still in LOCOG's hands.)
* Water is on the Olympic Channel till 10pm on Saturday - so no worries about losing the bottom of the course.
* Due to the number of people on site Saturday parking will be in the adjacent showground. The white water centre's gates will open just after 8am to allow everyone to drop off boats and kit, before having to park up next door.

Looking forward to seeing the Legacy Loop in use!

:D :D :D

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:12 pm

Canadian PAddler wrote:and LEE VALLEY RULES: If you want to step over the chain fence you must wear a BA,
Is it just a BA? When I was there I had just got off Legacy course and was still in paddling kit - except helmet and was told I couldn't cross fence

TOG

Post by TOG » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:01 am

I'm so "dazed and" confused I'm not going now. Unfortunately I've been out of the country for a couple of weeks so I'm not quite up to speed - however the prospect of a 7 hour drive; minimal time on the water (why not a double to make it more worthwhile and sort out the issues which clearly this event is intended in part to resolve?); roll pressure (bottom line is that even alleged 'bombproof' isn't always and some participants could find themselves being asked to do this at Grandtully etc); regulations which suggest safety-consciousness over and above "assumed risk" sports; another 7 hour drive.......

I would love to paddle LV; once the whole thing sorts itself out (and I have time off) I would be more than happy to make the journey. :)

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:58 am

TOG wrote:(why not a double to make it more worthwhile and sort out the issues which clearly this event is intended in part to resolve?);
Perhaps you should go back to the numerous posts regarding the cost of the site for your explaination. However, if you have plenty of cash going spare and can pay for the site hire for the Sunday too I am sure there would be many grateful people out there.

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:06 pm

You gotta empathise though, singles anywhere, be it Shepperton or elsewhere are gonna seem a long, expensive slog for someone. Nothing that ain't said been said before and if they discourage people form going how can it be good.

Granted LV may be more justifiable due to cost

Terryg

Post by Terryg » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:15 pm

Great event. Ran to time. Good course.

Congratulations and thanks to all who helped organise and run this event.

slink

Post by slink » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:24 pm

I'll echo that...thanks to the organisers for a great event, despite LV's continuing efforts to make it difficult (car parking, access to toilets, late turning Olympic water on etc) :angry: The good news is those that completed the course have been granted the Legacy Loop assessment, so at least we get to play tomorrow! Thanks to Campbell Walsh for giving his time to present the prizes and well done to the div 3 competitors who competed on the biggest div 3 water I have ever seen - especially the one who finished without a 50!
Steve

Neil Footitt

Post by Neil Footitt » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:28 pm

Yes Terry I would agree ....a lot of effort for very few words of thanks.

However we were all aware and repeatedlly asked to move our cars to the showground....i did.... I'm aiming to go to heaven.....so why do others see themselves as above such requests, why do others expect special or concessionary treatment and use ignorance as reason.....Very poor show to those of you that continued to leave their cars where they were parked from early doors this morning.....would have laffed my size 9 socks off if you had been clamped you deserved it !

I do think it was closer to a Div 1/2 course than a Div 2/3.

I know a few who simply found reaching the bottom a major triumph and huge success.....stuff getting gates.....How many "fifties" were there...too many ???

Terryg

Post by Terryg » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:29 pm

Agree, it was a difficult and challenging course, it caught out some very good Div 2 and above paddlers.

The Div 3 paddlers all had a good go though, which is a great credit to them.
Hopefully they will have gained some confidence from tackling this course which will help them in their next events, and enable them to cope with Div 2 when they get promoted.

Yes, there probably were too many 50's and swims, and if the event is held again it should be a 1/2.

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:13 pm

I loved it, it was a bonkers 3 but you gotta give it a shot. #### yeah!

Top marks to all involved - will it happen again.....hope so!

Just before I left I heard an announcement saying they had locked the showground and if anyone was locked in they had to go to reception. Did anyone get locked in or hear an announcement saying they were about to lock it?

I loved the keep off the grass signs - that wasn't hard I just walked on the weeds. I'm told they were going for a natural, wild look. If I'd known I woulda nicked the stray sheep from Abbey and brought him down. He could have stayed in my car for the week (I would have left a window open.) That's what I normally do when I go a rustling

mikh

Post by mikh » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:27 pm

Would the sheep need a bouyancy aid to avoid being removed from the course by Lee Valley officials? :cool:

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:06 pm

Whatever floats your goat....sorry sheep