British Open Entries

Discuss past and future events
JaneS

Post by JaneS » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:07 pm

British Open - "Eligibility (Non ICF World Ranking Series)
Race entry will be by invitation only. Numbers to be invited will be decided after the closing date for numerical entries from the nations, including GB, 6 weeks before the event. We will then invite further GB competitors on ranking order of selection, followed by current ranking at the time."

Does anyone have any info about the entries for this race? Just wondering what the above means?

boatmum

Post by boatmum » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:47 pm

Having asked around - as I had NO clue - my understanding - which may be imperfect! is that each nation gets 6 boats per category. Once those have been taken (and the general consensus is that no too many will want to paddle in the UK end of Oct :D ) then the spaces will be filled by going on GB selection race results; seniors then U23 then juniors etc etc So the guess is that most Prem paddlers will be able to race who want to. So we've put in an entry and fee for the non ICF and will wait and see.

That's how I understand it anyway - if it's wrong I too would be curious to know how it's done :)

Kazz

Post by Kazz » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:11 pm

so does that mean that anyone taking part in senior selection regardless of their final place would be invited before a junior that had won ??? ??? now i'm confused
janes has identified the eligibility criteria which states that the closing date for numerical entries was 6 weeks before the event as its less than that now surely information and invitations to paddlers should have been issued anyone got one?? lots of people need to make travel arrangements and more importantly find somewhere to stay in llangollen does anyone have any information?
the entry process for european races this year seems to have been very muddled i have spoken to several paddlers who were refused entries to races only to be told after the event that their name had been on the start list if paddlers don't turn up when expected it doesn't look good for either the paddler or GB

???

Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:13 pm

The Slalom Committee is meeting this Sunday to discuss both international entries and the British Open, so I would expect an announcement to appear on the UK Slalom web site next week at the latest, but don't hold me to that as I am not the race organiser.

Numerical entries from each nation had to be in by last Saturday 19th, so this will give an idea of the number of foreign paddlers planning to attend.

As for non ICF GB paddlers, those who competed in Senior Selection would be invited ahead of those who didn't, regardless of where they came in selection, followed by those who didn't in current ranking order.

Mark
The above is the personal opinion of Mark Shaw and does not reflect the views of either the BCU or England Slalom Committees.

RussJohnson

Post by RussJohnson » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:20 pm

Disregard this comment, ive decided to remove it.

Sorry,

???
Russell Johnson
HALIFAX Canoe Club - West Yorkshire Canoe Club

Anne

Post by Anne » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:15 am

A stastement regarding entries to the British open will be posted on the web site as soon after the meeting on Sunday.

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:42 am

Anne

You may want to check out the following link:
Turkish Slalom Champ Refused Visa

Appreciate this is only one side of the story and there may be a completely different perspective. However it doesn't lead one to perceive the UK as a potential world class slalom venue when we refuse entry to potential International Competitors....

If the perception is correct then perhaps BCU Slalom and Organisers should raise a standard, if incorrect perhaps some moves to defuse before it blows up in the press....

CD

Kazz

Post by Kazz » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:31 pm

Why is the website for this event the BCU there is no obvious link to slalom on opening the page am i missing something or does it not exisit ???