HPP Div 3/4 - 14/15 May

Discuss past and future events
Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:03 pm

Entries have already started to come in for the above events, but more are always welcome!

The events are going to be held on the "Darlek" section at the bottom of the main course. The course will be set up so that it is more than suitable for a Div 3/4.

They will be the perfect events to attend if you want a chance to watch the Div 1/2/ Pan Celtic standard paddlers on the main HPP course as there are no other competitions (other than the Interclubs) where there are so many divisions at one place.

If anyone wishing to enter the Div 3/4 need to fit it around coaching/ watching/ competing/ assisting at the 1/2 Pan Celtic please let me know as soon as you can and I will try and fit you in around your other commitments.

I will even bring along a C1 and C2 just in case anyone feels like giving it a go

Helpers are still always welcome...

M :D

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:45 pm

Thanks to those of you that have offered to help, though if there are more volunteers hiding out there you will be welcome too :-)

The plan is to start racing at 12 on the Saturday so that there is time to practice and do coaching on the course during the morning (and to take late entries if we are not full by then).

On the Sunday we plan to start at 10am to allow for some practice time but hopefully not too late a finish given that people will want to go home.

Hope that helps people's planning.

M

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:41 pm

GB Canoeing are very kindly lending us C1 and C2's for the event so if people fancy trying either or both of them out feel free to put in an entry :D

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Thu May 05, 2011 6:58 pm

Entries are comming in daily so I plan to send out a provisional start list at the begining of next week...

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed May 11, 2011 9:30 pm

What time is the event due to start, so how much practice is available on Saturday?
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Wed May 11, 2011 9:34 pm

Runs start at 12. Free practice (no safety on the water) until 10:30 and full runs between 10:30 and 11:55.

Entries taken until 10:30.

Looking forward to seeing you all there :D

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Mon May 16, 2011 10:39 pm

Popped down to see the event at the weekend. Great idea - well done all involved!

John M

Post by John M » Tue May 17, 2011 9:55 pm

Great weekend at HPP this site made for a really good 3/4 and would be great to see more events there.
All had a great weekend so thanks - Mr and Mrs Munchkin and the rest that helped out ( if you need help judging any time give me a shout):D

andya

Post by andya » Mon May 30, 2011 12:04 pm

Just wanted to add my thanks for a well run event. :D

Totally agree this was a excellent idea to run a 3/4 alongside the 1/2. My son certainly really enjoyed both the challenging course, and been able to watch the div1's. I think the Darleks is great water for a 3/4, with the full volume of HPP, and vertical sides, it is deceptively fast and tricky.

Been the first event here I'm sure lots of lessons will have been learnt. A few thoughts I had on the Sat were:

Start - perhaps on River Left, from the big eddy. To avoid the cross which is a challenge for D4's. I did feel sorry for those that swam before the start.

Course - perhaps easier? With more options both to allow paddlers to get back to missed gates, and poles further from the side to allow easy spin or shuttle as well as stagger

Swimmer egress - a ladder roped to the side in the huge river right flat water (gate15), could be default way out. The youngster who got trapped between bank & boat/darlek, with an adult on each arm trying to haul him out, was horrible to watch from the far bank.

Thanks for posting the results, I see you have ignored the previous promotions for, Josh in D3, and Calum D4 :cool: Interesting to see on Sat the majority of D3's getting 50's, and D4's promoted with two fifties. Will probably be the hardest D3 of the year? Perhaps hardest D3 ever? :p

But to close as I started, I think this is an excellent idea, and great water to provide a real slalom challenge for D3/4.
Andy
(D1 K1 1981, D2 C1&C2 2010)

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Mon May 30, 2011 6:27 pm

The results went up as they wereon the day as the rule book did not say anything about what to do in the circumstances where someone should have been promoted but wasn't. Nick and I are leaving it to the ranking compilers to sort out as they should know what the dine thing is.

The coaches from GB canoeing kindly set up the course for us during the week leading up to the event as there were no wires across the river. We added more poles to the course on the Sunday so people could go back for gates and moved the start to the other side of the river and ended up with more swimmers!!!

It was interesting to note on the Sunday that the girls were far more likely to go back for a missed gate whereas the boys just sailed past. Wonder if there is a genuine reason for the difference or whether it was just a fluke!!!

Thanks for the support though. Mr Munchkin is running the Lea Valley Div 2/3 in August. Me thinks that will take the crown for the hardest Div 3...!!!

andya

Post by andya » Mon May 30, 2011 7:08 pm

Thanks Munchkin, it would have been great to stay for Sunday to, but family commitments meant otherwise. Sounds like you made some good changes for Sunday.

Interesting about the boy vs. girls thing. Perhaps the boys are in training never to stop to ask for directions when driving?? :p

Really looking forward to Lee Valley 2/3. To be crowned Hardest Div 3 of the year it will need to average more than 114 penalties per run. That's going to be one tough course! :D :cool: :laugh:
Andy

andya

Post by andya » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:03 am

andya wrote:Really looking forward to Lee Valley 2/3. To be crowned Hardest Div 3 of the year it will need to average more than 114 penalties per run. That's going to be one tough course! :D :cool: :laugh:
It is always good to be proven wrong...

For Lee Valley to claim the title of "hardest D3 K1M of the year" it now has to beat an average of 214 penalties/completed run set by Sundays Ironbridge.

Ironbridge was a great event, superb water and organisation, many thanks to all involved, I wish we could have stayed for Sunday ... :D
Andy