River Trent... - Any news re. HPP?

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Mr Munchkin

Post by Mr Munchkin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:17 am

In case anybody hasn't seen this news story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staf ... 293898.stm

"Warning over River Trent Cyanide

The deadly chemical cyanide and a quantity of raw sewage have leaked into a 30-mile stretch of the River Trent in Staffordshire"

Not sure how it will affect the river down stream... Any word from HPP?

biker01

Post by biker01 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:48 am

I just called HPP on 0115 982 1212 and they said they would be closed for the day. They are hoping for an update later today, but its unlikely to be opened.

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:18 am

What about Stone this weekend?
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:25 am

I gather that the guys at Stone were training on the canal last night because of it...

Granddad

Post by Granddad » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:01 am

The contamination is expected to reach Burton on trent some time during the day according tothe BBC midlands news this morning

Dave Royle

Post by Dave Royle » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:59 pm

Stafford and Stone CC members were on the river on Sunday and alerted the EA of the incident on their hotline.

Obviously, Stafford and Stone have been having discussions with the EA in the last few days to determine when it will be safe to paddle at Stone again. The EA have just released the following information.

Cyanide levels no longer a problem on River Trent

The Food Standards Agency are satisfied that the levels of cyanide and other pollutants no longer pose a risk to human health , from the most recent samples taken from the River Trent.

This follows intensive work by environment officers on the ground to pump oxygen into the river between Stoke-on-Trent and Yoxall to help control the impact of the pollution.

The Environment Agency will continue to pump oxygen into the river to help it recover from the untreated sewage, and we will carry on monitoring as it moves downstream.

Our investigation into the cause of the pollution continues and we will seek to prosecute those responsible for polluting the River Trent with cyanide.

ENDS

We will discuss the event this weekend at our committee meeting tonight, but I am sure that following this press statement the Stone 3/4 will take place.

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:02 pm

I hear HPP is open now...