5.15 Direct Entry to Division 2 - 2011 ACM Motions

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:42 pm

Amend other B2.2 so enter as non ranked if beat more than 40% promote otherwise apply Plus C3.1.6
The normal entry route into slalom is the “apprenticeship” route through promotion upwards from Division 4. This route is the preferred one for young paddlers and those with little moving-water experience, and should remain in place.

However, it can be a tedious option for paddlers who are already capable and may deter them from taking up slalom. This is especially true for 2012, when we hope to see a surge of paddlers inspired by the Olympic Games: the typical Div 4 race is just too remote from the exciting picture the Games will give.

When, some years ago, we introduced an option of direct entry to Division 3, the novice division was Div 5 and Div 3 races were further “up the tree”.

B3.3.2 Direct Entry
The normal entry route into slalom is upwards, through promotion, from Division 4, and is most suitable for young paddlers and those with little moving-water experience. However, for paddlers who are already capable, direct entry into a higher division better suited to their paddling ability may be appropriate.
Paddlers not already ranked in canoe slalom may enter a Division 2 race in the appropriate class. Provided that the class is quorate and they achieve a result better than that achieved by 40% of the ranked paddlers competing in that class, they may then claim immediate ranking in Division 2
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:15 pm

can't people apply to the ranking person (John) and ask to be ranked wherever they wish? So long as they can fight their corner that seems reasonable to me, do we need a rule to state this?

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:29 pm

I certainly know one or two who (on my advice) have raced at an event and then applied to the ranking officer for a bib in Div 2 based on their result.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:30 am

This would reduce some of the load on ranking officer.

Paddle at a division and beat 40% - you are ther, no need to do more than apply for the bib with a copy of the results

Beat 39% - apply to ranking officer saying why

Beat 10% - think again
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Granddad

Post by Granddad » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:16 am

This is just another rule to add to the confusion with the current ranking rules.
There is nothing wrong with the current system, And as ranking officer I have never complained of the work load involved.
Between most organisers, ranking officers and myself we try and make it as easy as possible to get pallers into the ranking system with, I believe, a high success rate.

Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:56 pm

I drafted this motion, knowing that you can already get into Div 2 in this way but wanting the fact to be more visible to paddlers entering the sport. The "full apprenticeship" option tends to look compulsory.

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:14 pm

Certainly would make things easier for those trying the sport - polo paddlers in particular often have the skills

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:30 pm

This may need some tweaking I think it needs the following

They can race in Division 2 but as a NR paddler and are not included in points calculations nor gain any points. They are immediately allowed to enter their next event as a Div 2 paddler. Normal Div 2 event/late fees to be charged.