Lee Valley - Reminder

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Neil Footitt

Post by Neil Footitt » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:55 pm

TEST EVENT

Can some one please remind me why it is a closed event ? Why local schools have been invited and not my sons school in Cambridgeshire ?
Why perhaps limited tickets weren't sent to clubs so that those that are being "inspired" can see exactly what the "inspiration" leads to ?

Can't answer any of the above myself so am looking for the inspired or those inspiring to answer them for me.

thank you

Dadstaxi

Post by Dadstaxi » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:03 am

Neil,

Had the very same conversation with my daughters & fellow club members.

cheers

Neil Footitt

Post by Neil Footitt » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:23 am

...and what was the opinion of your group.

I simply don't understand. I'm not being critical yet. I just want to understand the reasoning, especialy as my children will be at the site the following weekend to for the Div2/3 race.

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:33 am

I'd agree with you Neil. It's not a criticism but can't fathom it. Certainly, it could be a good idea to roll out to other schools in the home counties in future. I would say target some schools where slalom paddlers attend as the individuals could act as a uide to the sport - Clubs would be a ood idea too

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:36 am

the g on my keyboard is being difficult - should have been guide and good

boatmum

Post by boatmum » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:52 am

I would point out that slalom happens all over the UK not just the home counties :)

Like everyone else I'm a bit confused. This is a "Test Event" so surely part of the "test" would be to test how best to manage spectators?? Surely a "Test" event would be an ideal opportunity to see what are the issues from a spectator point of view too? Also given the issues with regards to paying for the water pumping etc Would it not have been an idea to sell tickets for the "Test Event" to raise some much needed funding?

Yes I am being critical - for me this typifies the complete lack of joined up thinking on LOCOG's part

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:52 pm

- The local planning authority set a limit on the number of spectators that could attend. Any open test event would be expected to attract a Llaro be a target ge number of spectators, so access was restricted to friends and family of the teams, the teams themselves, LOCOG workforce (part of the test event is to test aspects of the workforce), Olympic observers, dignatories etc.
- LOCOG could not provide any facilities for spectators except a single catering concession and is not using this event to test accreditation, ticketing and crowd control.
- security for all test events is high as the Olympics is thought a target for protest ect. Upping security to deal with many more spectators is outside the budget for the event.
- testing of the spectator facilities is not possible without building them, and that will take months, it is impractical (and uneconomic) to take the site for the months that that will need.
- this is only one of the many test events and spectators ticketing etc are being tested elsewhere
I could go on, but you get the drift? :)
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:12 pm

boatmum wrote:I would point out that slalom happens all over the UK not just the home counties :)
Oh yeah fair point and no offence

What I meant was that those counties and possibly a few peripheral ones would be where a school may be able to commute from.

I expect that the only difference between the home counties and 'all over the uk' is that down our way it's often referred to as gentlemens athletic boating. You may have seen me wandering around in my straw boater and blazer, sipping a Pimms and nibbling a cucumber sandwich

I'll keep me head down at the next venture north

Tally Ho old bean

boatmum

Post by boatmum » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:50 pm

Neil -you're safe :) I thought the straw boater boaters would mainly be in Oxford and Cambridge. Ah many a fond memory punting - sorry boating on the Isis - ah happy days long ago sadly!

CP - Re security - well as demonstrated in Oslo - it only takes one! But yep I get your drift even if I don't agree with the raison d'etre - I'm assuming we are allowed to disagree ? :D Sorry - been a long day!

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:48 pm

Off course you are allowed to disagree - I do it all the time! :p

Been a long day here too, as it was yesterday and the day before. . .
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

anna-lou

Post by anna-lou » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:38 pm

I think its a little silly who has been invited to attend, on the info on main page a teacher has said pupils will be inspired, waht about inspiring those already in the sport recreationally or otherwise in a different discipline. Why not target local canoe clubs who could then be encouraged to take up slalom as a discipline encouraging mass participation in the sport- which i believe to be the purpose of division 3/4.

I know in my local club we have 6 youngsters doing slalom of 143 approx members mainly because they havent seen/heard about it, those that do attend do so having seen/ been encouraged by my sister and i both in div 1.

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:05 pm

I thought the straw boater boaters would mainly be in Oxford and Cambridge.

You've obviously never been to Henley Regatta :D

- Mindyou, the boats there are really only designed to go in straight lines and all the paddles are broken in two...
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

boatmum

Post by boatmum » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:23 pm

Ah yes spent many a happy hour dodging the guys and gals with broken paddles with their backs to where they are going (sigh) with a little one at the more pointy end yelling at them! -

It's the ones who stand up and use a clothes prop (long wooden stick to the uninitiated in old fashioned laundry techniques!) to propel themselves (or in many instances get stuck :) ) along the river I was thinking about - happy days :)

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:18 pm

:D
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!