Course Gradings - Guidance on what to expect

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:55 pm

With a view to giving paddlers who haven't been to a course before an idea of what to expect - and whether it's a good site for their next event - I've asked John Sturgess to come up with a "starter for ten" grading of each course.

He hasn't been able to give a view on every course, and it's only a personal view at present, so I need your contributions - gradings for other courses and whether you agree or disagree with John's grades. The list is at http://www.canoeslalom.co.uk/courses/JS ... adings.htm

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:27 pm

just a personal opinion but town falls, serpents tail, bala mill and shepperton are graded too highly (at least one grade for each). one decent drop does not make a hard course.

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:22 am

Abbey When high should be an E. We were up on saturday and I was struggling with all this snow melt!

Definitely trckier than plopping over bala falls!

John Sturgess

Post by John Sturgess » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:41 pm

Oldschool

The aim of these gradings is not to specify how difficult a slalom course on that water would be, but how difficult the water might be looked at from the point of view of what a paddler might feel looking at it. The point about Bala Mill, or Town Falls is that a young paddler might look at the one feature and say 'I'm not paddling down that': and that response would not be any different if there were one feature like that, or two, or three. It is not intended as a measure of how testing a Prem course it might make.

Nicky

At the level at which you would grade Abbey Rapids as an E, would the race go ahead? I saw it last year when 2nd runs were scrubbed: would you have set a course at that if it had been a steady level? If so, then it should be an E.

Thanks for the comments, all of you: this is an ongoing process.

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:46 pm

a div 2 would be scrubbed, but a div 1 could be set on that level.

It's a belter!

Nicky