Amazon pink river dolphins rescue

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
jjayes

Post by jjayes » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:52 pm

White Water Active of Llangollen plan to rescue a pair of stranded Amazon pink river dolphins.
21/03/2010

Jim Jayes from White Water Active, Llangollen’s canoeing and rafting center are planning to rescue stranded Dolphins from the Amazon basin. They currently live in a heavily deforested and polluted areas of the Amazon where fish have been killed, leaving the dolphins to slowly starve. White Water Active are planning to bring a breeding couple back to Llangollen to live in the River Dee . Jim Jayes first came to hear about these intelligent animals after hearing reports of pink dolphins pushing people to the shore after their canoes had capsized. Jim said “the Dee would provide the perfect habitat for these fresh water mammals. There is a ample supply of both salmon and trout as well as grayling to provide a food supply. They normally eat up to twenty kilo of fish a day and it estimated that the Dee can adequately supply this for each animal. The presence of the dolphin in the Dee around Llangollen will provide a incredible tourist attraction to Llangollen. It is hoped that they will breed and become a indigenous species of the Dee and maybe even spread to river throughout the UK. We will soon release more details of our rescue plans early next month”.

Jim Said "we see this as A Positive and Realistic Idea, Laying out the Framework Of Our Legacy to Society"

See them on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta35C488dnE

We are looking for funding ideas to raise the money to bring them to Wales. If anybody can help or has ideas please contact Jim via White water Active’s Face Book.

The Amazon river dolphin is a freshwater river dolphin endemic to the Orinoco, Amazon and Araguaia/Tocantins River systems of Brazil, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia and Venezuela. The largest of the river dolphins, this species is not to be confused with the Tucuxi (Sotalia fluviatilis), whose range overlaps that of the Amazon River Dolphin but is not a true river dolphin. Because they are unfused, the neck vertebrae of the Amazon river dolphin are able to turn 180 degrees. The pink dolphin lives in the freshwater of the Amazon River. This species looks like the grey dolphin, but individuals are bigger, and instead of a dorsal fin they have a hump on their back. Their tails are also bigger. The pink dolphin has been listed as endangered by the International Union for Conservation of the Nature due to pollution, over fishing, excessive boat trafficking and habitat loss. The brain of the river dolphin is 40% larger than a human brain.
For more details on the Pink freshwater dolphin. http://www.isptr-pard.org/dolphin.html

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:44 pm

What would be the ecological effect of bringing alien species to UK waters? Also, bearing in mind that the fishermen on the Dee think paddlers are evil fish scarers how will they respond to the introduction of dolphins?

I love dolphins but I think there are a few points that need to be looked at and the ones above are just the tip of the iceburg...

jjayes

Post by jjayes » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:40 pm

We would be looking at introducing them in a sustainable way so as to balance the eco system.

Are you saying you do not care about the plight of these poor dolphins? If they were refugees from a war zone they would be allowed to come. They will do a lot of good here by providing a great tourist attraction.

Is because they is pink that you do not like them?

We see this as A Positive and Realistic Idea, Laying out the Framework Of Our Legacy to Society

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:31 pm

jjayes wrote:Are you saying you do not care about the plight of these poor dolphins? If they were refugees from a war zone they would be allowed to come. They will do a lot of good here by providing a great tourist attraction.

Please tell me that it is not too early for an April 1 joke???

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:37 pm

I have enogh problems putting a good time down on Town Falls without Pink Dolphins giving me hassel on my way down! Unless they could be trained to give me a push!!:D

But would you want to paddle a river with a 3m 90kg Fish?(yes I know they aren't fish!) If it got a paddle on the nose i recon it could make a fair mess of you and your boat! ???

jjayes

Post by jjayes » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:35 am

I know this is all easy to make jokes about and I am unable to not do that my self. But there is a serious side to this. Fund raising ides would be helpful?

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:21 pm

All jokes aside, i'd probably avoid paddling on the dee if they were in it! i'm sorry but if i'm not the biggest thing in the river i'm not going on it, which is why i never go canoeing on the sea.

I have a healthy respect for nature and i think i know my spot in the food chain and most peolpe have heard about what a mess dolphins can make of great white sharks if they get too close to their babies. I'm know where near the size of a great white and certainly have a less scary bite so i'll go paddle somewhere else, thanks anyway.

I may have irrational fears, but I dare say i'm not the only one. Why not find a river that is unused by others and therefore would be easier to protect and manage what is (i imagine) an endangered species. I can't think that anyone would introduce an endangered mountain lion into the lake district just because it could sustain itself on the rabbit population and would hopefully therefore not interact with the walkers in the area.

I think your hearts in the right place but the relocation isn't, sorry.

Fup Duck

Post by Fup Duck » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:44 pm

Hi

I've read some of the comments above and I think I'm with Jim on the plight issue.

All too often we make light on this forum about many issues. That's human nature and we will never all agree. I'm as guilty of it as the next man.
A modicum of respect for peoples views sometimes goes a along way and is sadly lacking in this day and age.

Whilst I totally see Jim's reasons here and see how man's intervention has affected these creatures, that does throw up the point already alluded to regarding the ecological effect.

All too often through history man has altered the course of nature with respect to Flora (not margarine) and Fauna - think of the Victorians importing non-native plants and the effects that has had. The annihilation of indigenous species, either by man directly or indirectly through either conscious or unconscious importation of wildlife has a negative precedent. Think mink or the historic slaughter of natural predators which there is now talk of reintroducing.

Has anybody read this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Without-U ... 1905264038

There are parallels!

All that having been said I wonder Jim, if you could let me know your thoughts on a few points?
Clearly you are far better placed than me to know the river and so possibly answer.

What do the eco-types and EA think of this. I'm trying to get some works done to our local river and it's like jumping through hoops constantly. Have they expressed any support?

I'm not an expert but I assume the natural habitat of the dolphin is different i.e. warmer, of different composition and with different food sources. Leaving aside the eco-impact (if any), what would be the effect on the creatures themselves of installing them in a non-natural habitat. For instance I haven't got a clue what gives them there colour, is it food/habitat or what?

The tourism thing makes me cringe a bit as it couldn't be monitored surely, think of the occasional idiot behaving inappropriately and it could be catastrophic - I'm sure many scenarios spring to mind. I'm sure it would be economically beneficial if it could be controlled.

Please don't think I'm being negative.

If this could be researched and done properly it would be admirable and surely worth it. It seems their life ain't gonna get any better if they stay put.

Re fundraising - what about asking clubs/individuals to sponsor a dolphin. Alternatively you could hold a Big Paddle event either on the Dee or nationwide getting clubs too all paddle at a certain time for a few hours and attract sponsorship/publicity.

One question - I'm not clear how you first found out about it?
I am both a cynic and a sceptic re human nature so feel inclined to ask, is it all above board?

If you could satisfactorily answer my queries I'd certainly back it.

Best of luck

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:54 pm

Fup Duck wrote:I've read some of the comments above and I think I'm with Jim on the plight issue.
I am with him there but that is as far as I go.

Having studied a BSC in Biology and an MSc in Envrionmental Technology and hence looked at Ecology and Environmental Management in great depth I stand by what I said previously.

Introducing an alien species into a country is not normally a good idea. It has been tried time and time again (often as a form of "pest control") and has resulted in the decline of native species which, as I am sure you are aware, creates a completely unbalanced ecosystem (a similar effect to over hunting/ over fishing).

On top of that, has anyone tried paddling the Dee this winter, often is has been a bump and scrape (hence not worth doing), if it is like that for us then how would the Dolphins survive?

There are so many more flaws with the plan that I could go on forever, but my tummy is rumbling and I still think this must be a joke as I cannot believe anyone would be silly enough to come up with this idea.

If you start raising money to protect their natural environment and/ or create a reserve (similar to those in Africa) to protect a large area of the Amazon count me in. Pink/ Purple/ Green/ Orange dolphins in the Deed??? Nope!

Fup Duck

Post by Fup Duck » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:14 pm

I'll bow to anyone with any expertise.

As it's contentious, it might run on though as these creatures are always emotive. If it was a snail it'd be different.

Not that I have anything against snails

John Sturgess

Post by John Sturgess » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:47 pm

Has nobody noticed the odd way Jim uses Capital Letters?

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:54 pm

"still think this is a joke"!!!

Might have been funny on the 1st!

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:01 pm

Fup Duck wrote:If it was a snail it'd be different.

Not that I have anything against snails
Now that is funny! It was snails that I was thinking of when I wrote my post!!!

http://www.zsl.org/conservation/regions/oceania/

Very tiny but not very cute!!!

(The joys of field trips to ZSL)

jjayes

Post by jjayes » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:00 pm

These are some of the responses I have had so far via our Facebook sites at "White Water Active" and "Eddylines" and my own "Jim Jayes" facebook and emails. I have removed the names to protect the individuals. If you want to comment on face book please do it through the Eddylines site as it is getting hard to keep track of it all.

Who is going to tell the fishermen !!!!! - they are currently extremely worried about the declinning stocks of atlantic salmon and eels in the rivers and are actively buying out licences from salmon nets men on the coast to preserve stock. The clubs are also persueing catch and release policies so that wild salmon are returned to the rivers to maintain stock levels. The other aspects to remember is that the release of a non - indigenous species into the UK may not be permitted without a licence fromthe environment agency. Whilst this animal is certainly not in the same category as the mink there were alot of lessons to be learned from that episode.

IN Warrington we had a couple of seals come up the Mersey on a big tide and get trapped behind the weir at Howley so they stayed and dined on roach and perch instead of mackarel until the next big tide released them and the furore in the local press was incredible - imagine throwing in your maggots and groundbait only to attract a big grey seal!!!!!

Only advice and ignor it if you want to but whilst they are no doubt beautiful creatures that should be saved but carefully or you could be in stormy waters. The general public would no doubt take a venture like this to heart but it might be best to think of an alternative- best of luck
P.S. and I agree that they would be wonderful for visitor numbers to the valle

Not sure how the anglers will react JJ, but seems like a fun idea
2 hours ago ·

Apparently they would be very good at slalom, can you ask exec if can we get a new division for next season in case they want to compete? I can see it now Prem D 1!!!
2 hours ago ·

We would be looking at introducing them in a sustainable way so as to balance the eco system.

Are you saying you do not care about the plight of these poor dolphins? If they were refugees from a war zone they would be allowed to come. They will do a lot of good here by providing a great tourist attraction.

We see this as A Positive and Realistic Idea, Laying out the Framework Of Our Legacy to Society

Great idea but has anyone spoken to the Countryside Council for Wales the Dee is a SSSI and probably has a European designation, that will mean the introduction of a non native species like the Amazon Dolphin would be near enough impossible given the current prime objective of most conservation bodies to try to eradicate non native species that have gone wild. Can the Dolphins not be saved in South America using other rivers that connect to the Atlantic like the Orinoco or Magdalena

In Great Britain the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 prevents the introduction of any animal not naturally occurring in the wild. This is the law. Such introductions very often result in serious damage to our semi-natural ecosystems. Adversely affecting native species which rely on the same food resources. They can also have an adverse effect on... See More ... See Moreeconimic interests, such as, in this case fisheries. This idea is seriously ignorant and, in any case, unlikely to benefit these animals. You would do better to support the protection of their natural ecosystem through one or some of the many agencies involved in this work. I could go on. This is a ridiculous idea. Regards Chris Scott.
11 minutes ago

Thanks for not taking the time to read what I wrote. I'd love to see them saved. I was only suggesting if you have not contacted and discussed with the CCW before making public the plan, you should do so before making any further public announcements about this.

I have to deal with them a lot on both rivers and moorlands and know from my own ... See moreexperience how rigidly they interpret EU conservation directives when implementing any approvals. I would doubt that without a very expensive Environmental Impact Study giving detail of how the release will not impact on the ecosystem through reducing native fish stock numbers, river conditions or other eliminating competing species you could even get approval to put them in a cage in the river. The river Dee is at least a SSSI and EU Habitat Species Protection Legislation is so powerful it will stop the CCW from issuing any consent, there will be people out there, fishermen and conservationists opposed to what you are doing who will be wanting to ensure the CCW does comply to their statutory duty in relation to this project.

I do think that the best place to save the Dolphins is in South America and there will be places and ways to do it. 1/3rd of All UK government money for conservation projects across South America is funnelled through the British Embassy in Colombia where a team of South American Ecologists are employed as Embassy staff to deliver british support to projects across the entire Amazon Basin Biosphere that could help you develop a project in a remote area rather than exposing the dolphin to car loads of scallies lobbing smoked kippers at them from the prom expecting them to do tricks with footballs in return.

jjayes

Post by jjayes » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:15 pm

Just had a call from the big man at V airways, he has offered them a free flight. We also know that first one we get is called uno, he is a 9ft male and weighs in at hefty 125Kilo when wet.