Southern Slalom - history of

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
davewaine

Post by davewaine » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:23 pm

Well further to the list of Slalom demise in the South you may soon be able to add Shepperton. (See event topic).
Broxbourne will eventually become available but I'm sure that unless you paddle a RAFT then you won't get much of the (expensive) water time. Look at HPP and Cardiff. We need to reinstate the good local Southern venues again - not keep killing them off.

slink

Post by slink » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:50 pm

Munchkin wrote:Nice try Jim, I think Viking have that one sorted!!!
But do they have exclusive rights? We have 3 different clubs that run events at Alva, as long as two of us don't go for the same weekend, it works well. We all get an event, the locals get 3 events!

If the site is available, and there's room in the calendar so the events can be spread out, why not use it?

PaulBolton

Post by PaulBolton » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:38 pm

Not really a southern slalom, but I remember there was once a slalom on the weir in the centre of Newark. The mill there has since been demolished but you could easily hold a div 3/4 there. Newark CC still exists but now meets on a lake and all the slalom paddlers go to HPP.

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:06 pm

munchkin, what about sharnbrook, when i got harefield on the calendar, sturat got the old "box of tricks" out and there were results from the dark ages! I think that is relatively close to you guys and I'm sure it used to be pretty good. I think that land owner fees became an issue then, but I'm sure that if there is a will there is a way...

I'd have a word with stuart meakins about it as i have no idea where it is or what it's like!

Happy searching

Nicky

Fup Duck

Post by Fup Duck » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:58 pm

I'd urge everybody to look at post re Shepperton as per Dave's suggestion. I'm hoping that JJ will post saying he's gonna loose some pink beauties down there as it's got to be a joke.

I feel a scathing poem coming on

CDC

Post by CDC » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:01 am

??? Viking do not have exclusive to run events at Cardington - any club can hire the course either to have a recreation event or a slalom,
Jim Cardington Chair

Ray

Post by Ray » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:29 am

Ankerdine hasn't been mentioned yet. Kinver ran it in 1999.