Encouraging C1 Women

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
jjayes

Re: Encouraging C1 Women

Post by jjayes » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:04 pm

With all this talk of funding funding funding, it might be good to remember that their was a time before World Class funding came along when Britain was a very successful slalom nation. If any athlete out there believes it is all about funding, they are very much mistaken. To be successful requires a strength and determination to make it no matter what the obstacles are. We have seen far too many "funded" paddlers not get very far at all along the road to truly world class performances. It you really want it, you'll find a way to make it happen funding or not. Many have do so before. When you are on the start line you are on your own!

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:49 pm

SueH wrote:having read all the above posts, and knowing the restraints on funding and the 4 year cycle of funding which doesn't include C1W. Also thinking that an Olympian takes more than 4 years to 'grow'! I am just wondering why canoe sprint has been able to have screened, selected and whittled down a whole bunch of 'ready made athletes' from other canoe disciplines and sports, with the view of creating medals in C1W at the Tokyo Olympics. This has all been done through the Girls4Gold programme. Could canoe slalom not be moving in the same direction?
I understand that a lot of research has gone into this and the answer is no. In sprint and rowing there is a "type" e.g body type of person that is suited to events. It is therefore relatively simple to pick out the people that are likely to succeed. In slalom there is no body type - look at Dave Florence v Martikan which makes it difficult to identify potential Alldis. Obviously what I have said is a simplification of the issues but I do know it's been considered.

SilverSurfer

Post by SilverSurfer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:13 pm

Totally agree JJayes, money doesn't make the athlete. When I talk about funding I am referring to availability of coaching, water access time, gym facilities, physiotherapist, phycologists etc. these all make a difference. Anyone who is on a funding programme or non programme for that matter who has access to these has a better chance of success. But actual success is determined by what the athlete puts in.

From what I have seen over the last couple of years since being introduced to canoeing via my kids, is that some have more opportunities than others, but those paddlers who choose C1W have had less opportunities.

C1W is now an Olympic sport, if we are to make this a successful class, then investment is needed. As previously stated in my posts, the top 4 C1W boats are excellent paddlers and have proved this on an international stage. But sadly, below the top 4 paddlers, the depth in quality is not there, unless the right support is put in place. Hence my comment, that funding is required to move C1W forward.

Paul K

Post by Paul K » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:18 pm

Firstly, well done and fair play Sue. I totally agree.
SilverSurfer very valid points to work from.
Good luck for the Girls for Euros .
Nothing beats a good debate / whinge good for the soul :)

carealto

Post by carealto » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:14 pm

At the outset, I suspect that for most C1 is a secondary discipline - slalom C1s may be available in some clubs, but most start paddling in an open canoe or a kayak. I suspect that few with a preference for open canoe cross over into slalom, so most start out in a K1. So why do a smaller proportion of women switch over (or do both).

My daughter started slalom at the age of 12, progressed slowly through the ranks and achieved div 2 just before she was 14 - on the first day of a div 3/4 a long way from home. She borrowed a C1 for the sunday and started a series of occasional paddles in div 3 events, not really keen to take it up in prefence to K1, but enjoying the competition when circumstances dictated. And then she joined last winters C1 program with Gaz Wilson (as mentioned by SueH) - what an experience. She was the lowest ranked paddler on the program in C1 and in K1 (among those who did both) and suddenly she was paddling HPP and the Tryweryn - despite the cold (though the C1Ws never had to stoop to breaking the ice - the GB rafting team had already done that!) and the swims she loved it. Suddenly C1 was something she wanted to do. The friendships within the little group were fantastic and it was great to see how they challenged and helped each other. The benefits to her C1 standard (and K1 too) soon showed. In around half a season she went from div 3 to prem/1. Who knows, perhaps another winter program would have persuaded her to make the crossover to C1 completely, but as it is she still has a slight preference for K1. If we are to get more women into C1, programs like this must offer tremendous value as a kick-start.

Other thoughts - if C1 is generally something people start on a second discipline, perhaps age limits for acceptance onto regional academy squads should be extended for C1 - starting later, many will reach the standard later.

Oh .. and comparing times with the mens K1 class is so patchy - at Shepperton there were only 2 C1W prem / 1 entries but the nature of the course is very unfavourable (lots of power needed for all that upstream paddling). Some other events the percentages are perhaps too generous. Would it be better to compare C1W with K1W (similar strengths and weight) and fall back to K1M comparisons only if K1W is inquorate too?

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:57 pm

So why do a smaller proportion of women switch over (or do both).
The question is, is this really the case, numerically there are less females participating in slalom, but is their take up any different?

Using the current Ranking Lists as the basis and running comparison between like for like, the above debate seems to miss the reality that more women (relatively) paddle C1 than men.

Early season but in Div 4:
K1W K1M C1W C1M
Div 4 23 29 7 30.4% 11 37.9% - only really a couple of paddler out for parity at the entry level.

At Div 2 - where the transition to more powerful courses starts, there is some evidence of a backlog of C1W:
Div 2 75 208 27 36.0% 45 21.6%

With C1W combined at Div 1/Prem there is near parity if the C1M are similarly summed together

Overall:
Sum 315 731 86 27.3% 182 24.9% would indicate that proportionally more Women are willing to cross over or paddle both K and C class than men.

From the recent Junior selection:
Jnr select 21 28 7 33.3% 9 32.1%

Demonstrates that there is a parity between the sexes in paddling development.

There may remain some questions on recognition, coaching availability and on funding - but I think in terms of take-up and participation there doe snot seem to be a sexual bias. Indeed given the relatively recent establishment of the C1W class, the numbers would indicate that with further maturity the women may be soon have a very real argument for improvements in funding, recognition and coaching access.