C2W - Does it exist???

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:32 pm

Reading the draft selection policy (which, admitidly is generally gobeldy gook to me) there seems to be periodic references to C2W as a class but then no selection %'s etc given to it.

Now I know that C1W IS a class but is C2W??? If so, does anyone know about it? If they don't know they won't go for selection...

Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:22 pm

Hi Michelle, C2W is an aspiration of the ICF and allowed for in their rules. However, there are currently no races where C2W can compete at an international level. I think the thinking is that we need more C1W before C2W becomes a reality.

However it is good that GB recognises that C2W does officially exist and includes the option within its selection policy. C2 women crews have got as far as Prem/1 before, the most recent being Rosie Bate/Becky Heath, however there isn't the competition there at the moment.

Perhaps we need to consider a separate C2W catogory for 2011?
The above is the personal opinion of Mark Shaw and does not reflect the views of either the BCU or England Slalom Committees.

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:48 pm

Mark Shaw wrote:C2 women crews have got as far as Prem/1 before, the most recent being Rosie Bate/Becky Heath, however there isn't the competition there at the moment.

Perhaps we need to consider a separate C2W catogory for 2011?
Thanks for that explaination, it ends my confusion!

There was not much competion for the C1W until it became a class of it's own. Kate was in Division 1 on her own for years before Jacquie came along to keep her company! Thus I agree, it should be looked at for 2011...

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:38 am

Why wait till 2011, is there not enough time to get a class arranged for 2010?

This way we would attract paddlers earlier and build up the class quicker?

Just an idea

Cheers

Graeme
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching