Young Whippersnappers! - Race order

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
oldandslow

Post by oldandslow » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:58 pm

I was whistled off today, as was a fellow DV paddler last w/e because a newly promoted superstar was catching up. I was very happy with my run today until then, and was on track to beat my personal target (which was definately not to be in the top ten). There is no doubt that I was considerably slower, but I was not there with a hope of winning, but wanted to do my best.

Any thoughts on a solution to this? What about doing 2nd runs in order of the first run times? Or what about in the latest online ranking order. You can't make the old dogs paddle any faster, but they have paid more than the young whippersnappers so deserve a fair chance of meeting their goals.
Life is what happens when you're making other plans.

PhilG

Post by PhilG » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:15 pm

Unfortunately this does happen, if you're on the next start line and being followed by another young whippersnapper just ask the starter for extra time. It saves the chance of re-runs saving the organiser time and gives both paddlers a unhindered run.

It is up to the paddler to ask as the organiser can't be expected to know every paddlers ability.

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:04 pm

I have on more than one occassion asked for extra time (especially in the C1 which I do for a laugh and do badly!) and the starters have always been great in giving me the extra time as I have always given a reason (and I trust legitimate one) for asking for it. I concur with PhilG, it is worth asking.

Don Raspin

Post by Don Raspin » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:26 pm

The Slalom Committee agreed a motion to be put to the 2007 ACM to the effect that the course should be clear before the start of each new class. Unfortunately it got overlooked - but I think this would help to avoid many catch ups and is relevant to the 're-run resolution' debate.

mwilk

Post by mwilk » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:28 pm

I've worked on start quite often and always try to give extra time if asked. This isn't easy if there has already been a delay of some sort. There is quite a lot of pressure on those running start to keep the day on track and often we come under pressure from control to catch up.

I guess that oldandslow's point is that unless you know the racer after you is going to catch you up, you're not likely to even think about asking for extra time. The time for this to crop up should be during the practise runs, but of course they very rarely run to the correct timetable.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat May 03, 2008 12:10 pm

If the event is running late, or is tight for time (like the Tees) I always ask to be set off early with the next paddelr going on time (e.g. bigger gap behind). With what was laughingly refered to as my 'speed' there was no chance of catching the J18 in front, and less chance of being caught by the J16 behind me.
Always worked for me

Having the course clear between classes might work at div1/Prem, but will nto work for lower divisions where there is boat sharing, and we sometimes have 6 C2s using 2 boats. . . Sensitive starters usually manage this situation, (OK everyone makes mistakes sometimes)

If you want to see a sesitive start in action come to Peterborough on May 17/18, I think we last had a catch up 10 years ago, when we set a paddler of after a C1 that was attempting gate 18 of a 20 gate course. . . Can't win them all.
advert continues despite the web site being 'off the air' the event is on, normal fun and friendly event, so come on down and see the new club building!
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points