Choosing/trying boats

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Neilo

Post by Neilo » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:29 pm

Well, I have entered my first slalom event and absolutely loved it. The boat that I used, I suspect, is a little small for me (not me too large for it, you understand) as I had to cut out the seat in order to get in it and then found it was more submarine than ultramarine It was a snip on e-bay, but I would like to look at getting a more modern and possibly more appropriately sized boat. I have seen manufacturers web sites but . . . . . . how can you find out which is the right boat for you ?

When choosing a plastic boat, I could try by using demo boats, when shops ran demo days. Is there anything similar with slalom boats ? There does not seem to be much about on the second hand scene and buying new is expensive if you find the boat is not quite right for you.

How did you choose which boat was right for you ? I'm 6.00 ft, 85-95 kg with large thighs, oh and a bloke, if that makes any difference.

On a seperate note, when I entered my first race at Shepperton, I was somewhat taken aback to be labelled a 'VETERAN', I'm sure that cannot be right, mature maybe, seasoned I suppose, but 'VETERAN' ? ? ? ?

Any comments, tips or advise (if not abusive, especially about the kgs or thighs) would be most welcome.

Oh, and thanks too for the people who ran the Shepperton Slalom, especially with all the water.

Neil.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:39 pm

If you can afford a new boat, the suppliers usually have demo boats that they take to events, it's just a matter of getting to the same events as them! Double Dutch do a very big slalom boat, Galasport (supplied by Cool Blue Canoes) have a fairly large boat, and I think Vajda (supplied by HydraSports) have a new big boat out. I think Nomad boats tend to be quite small, but you never know, they might have something suitable.

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:02 pm

As another elderly, large (6' and 15 stone) bloke having recently invested in a Vajda Cox 365 I would suggest you contact Steve or Ruth at Hydrasports and see if there are any demos available.

???

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:38 am

As a youngster, who has only been paddling since '74 (no not 1874), I display the weight of my experience about my frame, so am a similar size to the previous poster.
When I am sad enough to get into a kayak, rather than a proper boat, I find that my Premier is a very forgiving boat, BUT there is no longer an importer in the Uk, and there have been different tales of quality issues. My boat is fine except:
- It does not have the glitter in the deck that I asked for
- for some reason it is slower than the boat I paddled in the 80s. As Neilo has already noted it is the boats fault, not the paddler not training enough :p

When buying my boat I found that importers/manufacturers would lend you a demo boat, and that some of tehm (DD and Cool Blue spring to mind) are generous not only in lending boats, but in frame so have larger demo boats available.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:32 pm

There is a large DD Demo Virus at HPP which you could try.

Its in the boatshed nearest slalom control.

Neilo

Post by Neilo » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:11 pm

Hi there,

thanks for you reply's and help. I popped up to Cardington at the weekend and was able to try a Toro by Galasport, which was hansome, to say the least and fitted me like a glove. I would like to try some others to compare, but there were no demo doats of the ones I wanted to try from Vajda, but hopefully they will have some soon. I have seen a plastic slalom boat by Robson, and am going to try for a demo in one, can anyone tell me can I use a plastic one, if so, up to what Division ?

There were also plenty of Nomad boats around but I don't seem to be able to find a supplier, any ideas ?
I have to say I was truly jealous to be watching at Cardington and not taking part yet, soon maybe ?

Many thanks.

Neil.

mk1zetec

Post by mk1zetec » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:23 pm

You have a PM .Image

mk1zetec

Post by mk1zetec » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:18 pm

And again Image .

Neilo

Post by Neilo » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:54 pm

Ah hah, got it this time thanks.