5.2 Helmets - 2011 ACM Motions

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:17 pm

THIS is actually 5.3 Cant get the fingers to type!

The ICF requirement to have all helmet types approved by the ICF as well as meeting international standards is excessive for lower divisional events.

Amend Rule C19.3 (page 79) as follows:
C.19.3 The Safety Helmet must comply with CE (EN 1385) and {delete} be licenced by the ICF.{/delete}

Each helmet shall be marked in such a way that the following information is easily legible by the user, and is likely to remain legible throughout the life of the helmet to allow checking of the equipment by {delete}ICF{/delete} Officials:
The number of the Official standard;
The name and identification mark of the manufacturer;
The year and quarter of manufacture;
The designation ‘Helmet for canoeing and white water use;
The size or size range in cm.
The Helmet must not be modified in any way.
{delete}UK Buoyancy jackets and Helmets that are suitable for competition will be listed on the ICF website and Athletes will be expected to be using equipment that complies with the new rules for international events by the 1st June 2011 and for UK events by 1st January 2012.{/delete}

This motion will initially be handled under 75/25 arrangements.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:43 pm

really? Do we all need new helmets? Do we all need to go out and buy a new helmet? when was the last head injury at a slalom comp? When was the last time that there was a head injury at a slalom that would have been prevented if teh person had been wearing a new helmet? Who is going to enforce these rules on race day? Are all helmets to be checked?

Have I been irresponsible in racing with my lucky helmet for the last few years? Am I going to be racing in div 1 if my mojo is gone?

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:26 am

As with BAs, the intent here is to remove the ICF licence bit, the rest is all (I believe) part of the ISO standard.

The intent is to prevent us all having to buy new ICF licnced helmets unless we compete at internationals.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:05 pm

Nicky wrote: when was the last head injury at a slalom comp?
Spectator at Abbey wasn't it? Which makes you think - they don't wear helmets, regulation or not. Some of those rocks at certain places can be dodgy. We ain't going there are we!

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:32 am

CP does this mean that the rule is intending to keep everything as is is now?

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:37 am

Yes :) that is the point of this motion. Please support it