5.19 Practice - 2011 ACM Motions

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:52 pm

A strict reading of Rule C22.1.1 (page 81) would allow division 1 to 4 events to be run with no provision for practice runs. This was not the intent of the rule, so the rule should beamended as below:

UK C22.1.1 At Selection & Premier events there will be no training runs. At Division 1 to 4 at least one run must be available, additional training runs are permitted at the Organiser’s discretion.

This motion will initially be handled under 75/25 arrangements
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:11 pm

can one training run constitute free practice? What happens if water changes, does everyone have to be given a practice run on the amended course? This could have impact on natural venues if the water rises/falls during first runs...

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:31 am

Original rule allowed clubs to say no practice, even if teh course changed (mentioning no club names...) This tries to say you must have at least one.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:10 am

If this comes in has anyone checked that the timing team are willing to stay til around 7 on a sunday evening? Div 1/2 races run under timing team rules and if practice is a must then well attended events will either be starting at 6 for 1st practice runs (which means no late entries after 6am and all saftey must be in place for this time) or finishing stupidly late. If we have to start or finish at either of these times then find someone else to run my races please.

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:43 am

I definitely object to this rule then. I think that it will result one or two races being cancelled per year, or finishing very late into the night, unlesd there is a rule that stipulates that only one run can count then we can all go home early! ;)

Joking aside at abbey in September we would have had to start official practice before 7am in order to finish no too long after 5pm. Our intention was that div 2 paddlers could take free practice on Saturday evening and Sunday morning, but water conditions changed and the originally planned course needed a complete rethink along with some very brisk adjustments! This rule would take any thinking away from event organisers and would lead to exceptionally long adyas if anything happens. Does everyone need to be allocated an official practice time?

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:43 am

Alternativly lets get rid of practice altogether and see how the skillful paddlers really are!:angry: :D :D