Undercut - definition

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:07 pm

Try this one for size:
A C2 slides downstream sideways to a (downstream) gate. The right pole passes between the two paddlers to the centre line of the boat, and then the boat stops, revolving, with the pole hanging over the mid-point of the boat so that first the back man and then the front man pass through in turn.
There has been no touch. Both paddlers passed though in a downstream direction. Is a revolution a "single continuous passage"?
It happened at a World Cup in Athens. After a long pause we gave a 50, and waited for a protest - but it never came.

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:45 am

Been offline for a while but nice to see the debate still going which was the point. I personally see some ambiguity in the wording but there ya go.

Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:22 am

... which is why I was labouring the point so that we understood the international interpretation of this rule (even though it is ambiguous as written) and why we therefore have the UK part of the rule for clarification - maybe the old saying 'a picture is worth a thousand words' would be appropriate in this case?
The above is the personal opinion of Mark Shaw and does not reflect the views of either the BCU or England Slalom Committees.

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:39 pm

Yes indeed Mark labouring is a good word - new labouring dunno about that one though! Just dropping my two penneth in.
For those under say 40 I'd probably google two penneth I think it has dropped out of common usage - like the phrases 'malarkey' and 'fit as a butchers dog' which I would like to see revitalised