Southern Slalom - history of

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
davieq

Post by davieq » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:13 pm

Some Slaloms north of the border that no longer run, and are sadly missed.
Teviot Bridge Div 4 /Novice (river Tweed?)
Comrie Div 4/Novice (river Earn)
Teith Div 4/Novice (river Teith)
Leny Div /4 Novice (river Leny)
Netherton Bridge Div 2/3 (I think, both sites) (River Blackwater)
Potarch Div 3/4 (river Dee)
Cairnton Div 2/3 (river Dee)
Awe Div 2/3 (river Awe).
Ah reverse gates in banana C2's they were interesting. :(

Fup Duck

Post by Fup Duck » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:09 pm

It's getting all nostalgic.

As a parent who gets a bit road-weary part way through the season, does anyone think it is worth asking a few well placed questions as to revival of any. I'm sure it would be a shed load of work but it don't hurt to ask.

If so does anyone know of any relevant contacts

Anne

Post by Anne » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:21 pm

but I must add to this that in those days at div 1 there were only 9 races so choice at that end was very restricted!!! And I am sure there are mant new sites aswell - oh what about Serpents tail!!!! Div 2

jjayes

Post by jjayes » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:32 pm

Hambledon was in fact run as a prem event, I remember not many who lived north of watford could handle it!

With adding new events, it needs to be remembered that in the mid 80's when many of these events were running there were about five times the number of competitor racing.

When people talk about how much trouble it is to put up a course for either training or racing it make me laugh, it seems to be a skill lost to the sport as so many sites now the course is already up for training and paddlers do not get any practice at doing it. It really is not that hard to do. With single poles it is really easyier than it ever was.

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:30 pm

i think the the hardest place to put up a course is Sands Rapids in Carlisle.

The Northern Regional club event used to be run their. On the left bank there were only one or two trees, on the right there weren't any! With a river as wide as it was, it proved to be a right nightmare, but well worth it! big metal stakes and 50 odd a frames (25 gate courses in those days!).

these regional comps were great fun

andya

Post by andya » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:32 pm

jjayes wrote:Hambledon was in fact run as a prem event, I remember not many who lived north of watford could handle it!

lol .. if i recall right the first Hambledon Prem was won by an old teammate Bruce Horton ... he came from Hemel Hempstead .. JUST north of Watford :p

But back to the past .. heres a Photo of me at Sharnbrooke - 1980 I think, in the days St.Albans club organised it. A great little site, Langham Farm reminds me of it in many ways ...

If I remember right that bridge actually felt even more dangerous than it looked ...
Andy
(D1 K1 1981, D2 C1&C2 2010)

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:33 pm

davieq wrote:Some Slaloms north of the border that no longer run, and are sadly missed.
Teviot Bridge Div 4 /Novice (river Tweed?)
Comrie Div 4/Novice (river Earn)
Teith Div 4/Novice (river Teith)
Leny Div /4 Novice (river Leny)
Netherton Bridge Div 2/3 (I think, both sites) (River Blackwater)
Potarch Div 3/4 (river Dee)
Cairnton Div 2/3 (river Dee)
Awe Div 2/3 (river Awe).
Ah reverse gates in banana C2's they were interesting. :(

Missing:
Dinnet 3/4 (R Dee) - originally alternated year/year with Potarch

and past slaloms @
Invercannie (R Dee)
Thistlebrig (R Tay)

We must be getting old :p

TOG

Post by TOG » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:20 pm

Tweedbank 4/N (Tweed) also. And yes, we are....... :(

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:39 am

Now this topic has extended to foreign races, perhaps it is time to mention some North of England races that have disappeared:

Easby Abbey - has to be first on the list due to Manchester's involvement, and memories of the walk to the Holly Hill, and the stagger back after the Theakston's Old Peculiar served there.

Appletreewick
Halton Rapids
Richmond
Linton (rumours of a comeback?)
Ironbridge (a bit Southern)
Glasshouses
Myrtle Park (plus another site in Bingley? which I think was just called Bingley)
Middleton-In-Teesdale (not long gone, and another comeback being mooted)
Stangerthwaite

Anne

Post by Anne » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:54 am

Loved Easby!!!!! and we used to travel from the South!!!

andya

Post by andya » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:58 am

Anne wrote:Loved Easby!!!!! and we used to travel from the South!!!
Likewise .. and Middleton-In-Teesdale .. totally forgotten about that one, a nice course! Whorlton??

I recall been woken early at Middleton by the randy Ram that the farmer had put in early AM to service the Ewes. Boy he made a din.
Andy
(D1 K1 1981, D2 C1&C2 2010)

Fup Duck

Post by Fup Duck » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:59 am

Hi

See this is still going and people are enjoying reminiscing. I raised it because I heard tell of the previous slaloms on weirs and wonder if any of them could be revived.

I'll reexamine the thread when I have time but does anyone think there is any mileage in that or have any contacts that may help if so

PaulBolton

Post by PaulBolton » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:29 pm

I remember doing Sharnbrook one year. I decided to take my new girlfriend and this proved an excellent decision when I got the car stuck in some mud on the field that was the campsite. I asked her to push the car a little (a lime green Talbot Horizon!) whilst I gunned it. Next thing I see is something resembling the monster from the deep!!!

Been married to her for 21 years this year and I think her fair complexion is down to the free mud pack!

On another note, I did Hambledon when it was a Div2, so definitely not Prem only. I recall they didn't open all the gates for the lower divisions.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:10 am

No one remember Chester? rip the bottom of your boat out over the finish if teh tide was too low, and half the weir disappears at high tide. Start at the top finish at the bottom.

Center of town so distractions at the start whith lots of young ladies sitting on the wall just by the top of the weir in short skirts. . . . . <pervert mode off>

Good for publicity, and visibility of the sport - but really only dov 3/4, only as rough as than Cardington :D

But I seem to recall teh cabions started to break up and there was a danger of getting snagged on wire - rather like the AWE - now thta was a long slog for a div 2 - I was in Bristol then!
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:31 am

How come Duck Mill Weir in Bedford has not been mentioned here? Hmph! Well, as previously reported elsewhere on this Forum, this venue is very likely to reappear on the calendar once we have permanent gates and lighting sorted out :-) With the EA threatening to allow controlled water relesases, that guarantee the sluices being open, it will make a great training and comp venue for at least Div 2 if not Div 1.

PP
Peter Parker - 12 gate courses are plenty long enough!