History of Slalom Boats - can anyone help add to this list...

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
James Prowse

Post by James Prowse » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:43 pm

Not sure when it is from, but the double dutch slingshot 365

PaulBolton

Post by PaulBolton » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:53 pm

I've still got my Pyrannah Prem 2 that I paddled nearly 30 years ago. Ian Freestone sold it to me. I replaced it with a Nomad Extra and that's now out the front of our house as a planter and is full of winter pansies!! (Don't ask!). My first boat was a Ferarra and I used to train with Bill Horsman in K1. By the time Bill started C1 we had finished our A levels and gone our separate ways. Bill's dad (same name) and mum I believe were British Champs and we used to train from Bill senior's house as it had river frontage - did me no good at all slalom wise though, but very happy times.

Paul

Lord Lucan

Post by Lord Lucan » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:42 pm

My 1st 'real' slalom boat was a Panache by Kama canoes in Workington it had kevlar patches:p seams kept splitting at back so got upgraded to mk2, then went through a Derwent Starmaker and Blitz before moving to Nomad and paddling all their designs from the Pro-am through to Midas (sort of retired just before the 3.5M introduction)

Woody

Post by Woody » Mon May 03, 2010 12:32 pm

quote=sandylaner,Mar. 26 2010,10:37]
Spiderman wrote:Yes Jim, I remember the introduction of the Perfekt. There was a very fast Chester Paddler who I can only remember by his nickname of "Woody" (might have been Paul Wood?) who saw it and said in his broad accent "Them ends'll go ferra start!".

PP

Pete,

It was, indeed, Paul Wood. He made the British Youth Team and was also a very talented C1 paddler. He was a bit of a rough diamond from Ellesmere Port and was never short of an opinion on anything. Whilst everyone else at the club was paddling Olymp V's, Woody was the only person I can recall paddling an Olympia "H". I remember having a go in it once, it had the highest front deck ever. I could hardly see over the top of it. (Although as it was the boat used by Siggy Horn to win the Gold at the Munich olympics it must have been half decent I suppose!)

Woody gave up canoeing and took up Ice Hockey. Nuff said.[/quote]
sandylaner

I assume you are using the term rough diamond as a compliment... :D

If you you mean I stood my my ground, showed determination and told things as they were then ...yes I was and probablely still am a rough diamond oh and to set the record straight, I was from Deeside, so dont let the overtones of a scouse accent fool you (we were actually taught welsh as well)

I did enjoy paddling C1 and did think of migrating from K1 so thanks for the compiliment there as well as PP comment of " a very fast chester paddler"

To further set the record straight....I started ice skating simply because they built an ice rink a mile from where I lived and as my mum (or to avoid being a rough diamond...maybe I should say ones mother) worked there so I had free admission. Once I started skating and they started a hocky team I just followed this new challenge.

Sandylaner to educate you finally re ice hockey, you dont have to be a rough diamond to play, although a strong charactor and personal stregth are required as it is a physical game (if you think paddling requires fitness...try ice hocky and prepare to be surprised). also although there is body contact, fighting is strictly against the rules and although in US hocky fights are common, in the uk (certainly 35years ago) fighting was seriously frowned upon)

There were several reasons for my dropping out of paddling at the time, like most young people, I was starting work and trying to aspire to great things (outside sport) as well as wanting to enjoy life...so there were many avenues to explore.

It also wasnt helped by being banned by the slalom commitee for refusing to pay I think £200 to them for a GB team trip to the invitation commonwealth games slalom in New Zealand (£200 was a huge amount of money in those days, when my parents couldnt afford a car and my wages were £12 a week!!!)..although as my trade union had free legal advice, this was overturned following the threat of legal action (did say I stood my ground) The claim for the money btw was due to the trip organiser channeling TV payments for the televising of a Llangollen slalom to pay for the trip...which six months after the trip and our return they decided shouldnt have been done and simply demanded the money back....even though most of the paddlers on the trip were totally unaware of the arrangement (I wont say anymore on this as there are still people in the sport who were involved.)

I did return to slalom for a couple of years, but again work, the building of my house as a slef builder all took my time and I drifted away.

hopefully a few truths outed , so just off to complete ones elocution lesson before one polishes ones diamonds

:D

Woody

ps add to the history post next

Woody

Post by Woody » Mon May 03, 2010 12:46 pm

andy

The Scarab was made by Streamlyte Mouldings I think around 74...streamlyte was originally from the south and run by a guy called Roy...cant remember his last name they also made a boat called Tarka which was a very big bouyant boat designed by Tony young (UK slalom and wwr team member)...I came second at Llandysul to gain promotion to the first div...only came second due to rollin entering a breakout near the finish and as the river was in flood had a long paddle back to get the gate.

The Pavel Bone funa was made by Gaybo as was a boat called the Inn and I think a version II called the Inn spezial. these were the forerunners to the iconic Isere boat and Klaus Letterman arrived with his Olymp designs to challenge Tony Prijon's reign as the paddlers choice.

The Olymp, I seem to recall was the first boat to have recessed end grap loops (although it was dubious you would actually be able to get your hand under the taught loop!!!)

The KW I though was Keith Watling (although some people have said it is Keith wickham...another GB team paddler prior to my entering the sport, I think)

Streamlyte I agin think were both the first and pos the only manufacturer to use carbon fibre in their construction....Melvin swallow pretty much paddled a Scorpio throughout his slalom career and recall him having a translucent one with carbon fibre lines along the keel and other places for strengh and it being extremley light

My first proper slalom boat was an Inn and the first new boat was an Isere bought from Gaybo at Granftully for £45...blue top clear hull...I polished it so much its a wonder put holes in it :D

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Wed May 05, 2010 2:44 am

Woody! Blummin' eck! I did not expect to see a post from you here nor get a PM from you! You gotta love the internet! So great to read ALL your words and you are clearly the same person I recall having plenty to say (rivalling me for sure!) I was even readin it with your accent! lol. People always say I am good at accents and I always say that, as a youth, my sport brought me into contact with people from all over the country and it was this interactivity that is definately responsible for this! I think I can do a pretty good you! :-)

I agree strongly with you standing up for what you consider to be the right thing to do. I am much the same. Can't be doing with a wishy washy stance on anything :-)

I am a council house kid myself and proud of it. Still take white sugar and do not need black pepper on my steak to enjoy it! I think sport is a great leveller among youngsters from all walks of life and the competitive environment is real character building stuff. Kids need to be channelled to sport or music or something to make sure the energy goes the right way and slalom certainly did that for me. My daughters last school did not have winners at sports day because of the adverse effect this could have on the losers! WHAT!? We need to experience winning and losing to prepare us for the adult world as we all do both at some point. What a sorry state of decline this society is in. So lads like you and I Paul have plenty to thank the sport for. As do many others not-so-polished diamonds :-) I reckon we are a tad more polished now as 30 years can have that effect!! I will be uploading more 1970's slalom data on my clever captures website so I am sure your name will be mentioned in dispatches....sadly, a bit higher up the result sheets than mine dammit! Great to hear from you mate :-)

PP
Peter Parker - 12 gate courses are plenty long enough!

andya

Post by andya » Wed May 05, 2010 9:44 am

Great to see this thread alive, and still very much kicking! Google for most slalom boats now and you'll find this thread ;¬)

My apologies I've not done an update on the first page for a while, but I will get round to it sometime, so keep the memories coming!

I'd had a few enquirers, so just to be clear, its community information from us all. If anyone can make use of this info, in any way, then please do. It would be great if someone had the time to do this properly :D

(looking forward to taking my Electra out for its annual run soon, poor girl shes no longer a "twenty something" and is now firmly in her thirties ...)

Andy
(D1 K1 1981, D2 C1&C2 2010)

gregiej

Post by gregiej » Thu May 06, 2010 1:46 pm

Wow, Pretty complete. I had a Nomad Ferrara bought new in 1983, then a Concept Design Edge in 1988, there was an Edge II a couple of years later, I then paddled a Nomad Mystery and Magic.

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Thu May 06, 2010 2:30 pm

I saw one thats not on the list last weekend! It was a double dutch Goldrush from 2000 if the sydney bridge in the stickers was anything to go by!

surfkayaks.com

Post by surfkayaks.com » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:14 pm

"It also wasnt helped by being banned by the slalom commitee for refusing to pay I think £200 to them for a GB team trip to the invitation commonwealth games slalom in New Zealand (£200 was a huge amount of money in those days, when my parents couldnt afford a car and my wages were £12 a week!!!)..although as my trade union had free legal advice, this was overturned following the threat of legal action (did say I stood my ground) The claim for the money btw was due to the trip organiser channeling TV payments for the televising of a Llangollen slalom to pay for the trip...which six months after the trip and our return they decided shouldnt have been done and simply demanded the money back....even though most of the paddlers on the trip were totally unaware of the arrangement (I wont say anymore on this as there are still people in the sport who were involved.)

Oh i remember it so well, was also a victim of this but thought i was the only one who
didnt pay up and got banned., Good old Mr B , Im sure others will remember him.
Managed to get reinstated several years later once Albert W got to be at the helm ion the BCU.

And STILL looking for an Isere if someone has one. :p

Woody

Post by Woody » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:04 pm

I can almost feel a reunion coming on :cool:

The Isere...my first ever brand new boat £45 from Gaybo at Grantully...happy days :D

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:12 pm

I remember a boat that was popular at Manchester when I first started paddling in the lates 70s or early 80s called the Panache. I've no idea who it was made by, but I remember it being very "low-line". It might have had a "beaver tail", or that might have been another boat altogether

Steve Briggs

Post by Steve Briggs » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:45 pm

Dave, Ah Happy Days. The Panache was my first slalom boat, bought new by my parents whilst I was still in scouts, so I reckon it was 1978 or 1979.
You're correct, it did have a beaver tail and was manufactured by Derwent Canoes of Matlock.
I believe a Panache II followed a few years later with a standard tail.

Steve Briggs

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:39 pm

Panache - I had one of those, bought off the designer - Ian Freestone. The beever tail was 'interesting', but it was only a kayak, and I was much happier in my Supermax, then Cudamax. :D
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Anne

Post by Anne » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:35 am

We still have Andy's first slalom boat hanging in the roof of our garage - a loisach (sorry can't spell!!), it became his teaching boat when very soon after purchasing the lower cut boats cam in!! Along side this is his Meister 80 both go back to the 70's!!! Such a horder!!!