Tryweryn Start List - strange times

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
davebrads

Post by davebrads » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:33 pm

Is there a reason why the timings of the classes has been made so that the paddlers have their two runs either both in the morning or both in the afternoon?

Also, with K1M being by far the biggest class, why don't they run alngside the C2s and the rest of the classes run together?

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:07 am

Dave,

Read the thread about the Tully start list. I suspect the reasoning is exactly the same...

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:59 pm

At Tully the reasons were given were changes in water level and safety cover for div 2s, neither of which are applicable at a Prem/1 race on the Tryweryn.

boatmum

Post by boatmum » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:46 pm

Have to agree with Dave - seems a bit odd

Also on the Saturday all classes except C2 boats and K1W get 1 3/4 hours between runs - C2 get a tad over an hour and K1W 1 1/4 hrs

Slightly different on the Sunday but again C2 boats and K1W get less time between runs than the other classes? ???

PaulR

Post by PaulR » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:29 pm

Reasoning behind this move, I believe, is so that those athletes that are 'doubling up' in 2 or even 3 classes (?!) do not have to do 3 or 4 runs back to back (for instances) in the morning to start.

This need is further required with it being a Jnr selection event.

This is very similar to the International race day set ups.

N.B. Most paddlers do not seem to have a problem doing 5 or 6 runs as standard in their full run training (all with an hours session) so only have an hour and bit between race runs shouldn't really be a problem (looking purely from the physical aspect anyway).

boatmum

Post by boatmum » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:31 pm

From a physical angle I would entirely agree

However if your first run wasn't great I would suggest you may need a bit more than an hour to get your head round things. Especially if 2 x heads are involved :-)

The only doubling up in classes that I can see is in fact Womens' K1 and C1 so the danger of back to back runs doesn't appear to apply

Anyhow what ever the reasoning - well done to the organisers for rescheduling things at short notice

MikeR

Post by MikeR » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:44 pm

The other issue is that it is also useful to watch the rest of your class/the other classes, and for those whose runs are early on, this is near impossible :/